Saturday 6 December 2014

turret post mortem

As mentioned in my last post, there are a couple of things that I'd like to have done differently about my turret project.

My turret worked perfectly with the blueprints in UE4, turning 360° and pitching up and down without any issues or clipping, and while it looked good, it didn't really make sense. I had designed my turret with the idea of it being manned by a person, however the blueprint was designed with the idea of an automated turret.

Even if my design is a 16th/17th century inspired cannon, I think it would have looked a lot cooler if I were to have found ways of making the turret appear automated. Too late in the project I had a few ideas of how the cannon could hold and load extra cannonballs, such as integrating some kind of snooker-like rail onto the side of the cannon.

Any of these could have been integrated into the design

In terms of how the cannon would realistically be able to detect people or even pitch and rotate by itself isn't really important by now, as at this point the design would be heading into the realm of fantasy anyway, so it doesn't necessarily need to be accurate or realistic.

From a video game standpoint, most of the time having a design that is actually functional isn't as important as having something that looks believable. There are a lot of fantasy games with repeating flintlocks and automated fantasy turrets, such as this-

Warhammer- Engineers turret

Any old looking turning mechanism and a bit more bulk to the design could have worked to help the design appear 'automated'. However, there are other things I would certainly have to change about the design too. A less realistic and more cartoon art style such as the above would be more appropriate for an 'automated pirate cannon'.

So, in and of itself I think my design works, and certainly wouldn't look out of place in a realistic game universe if it were being manually controlled. However in terms of following the blueprint to look better as an automated design, I would definitely have to go back to the drawing board.


No comments:

Post a Comment