Thursday 17 October 2013

Summer studies

Figured I should probably post some work by now. Before I came to Leicester I had a pretty productive gap year working on my fundamentals and digital painting. I knew I would be bogged down with other things to do once I came here, so I didn't want to let up on the chance to work on my skills alone for a whole 12 months.

Here's some relatively recent studies from over summer, references taken from mjranum-stock and characterdesigns.com.




I think if you want to be a concept artist badly enough you can't look at it like any standard 'job'. Its got to be something you really want to do. If you're emotionally invested in your work then you'll probably be more inclined to keep progressing yourself. I crave drawing, so I do a lot of it, although if I'm really honest with myself probably not as much as I know I could be doing, especially now that I'm at university. There's always some degree of resistance.

Anyway, here's some more studies. Composition and value studies from old masters. There's Zorn, Bouguereau, Sargent and a Frazetta in there :) These were done on a small scale, probably no longer than 20 minutes each.



...and more figure work, focusing on values and rendering. The references are from mjranum-stock on Deviantart.




I'll go with this for now. Loads more studies and personal work to put up here but I'll probably stream it out gradually in the next few weeks rather than drop everything into a single post.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment